Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Letter to Chance


So you’re backpacking and while I am extremely jealous….no kids, wine and your best friend I AM in a nice warm dry house which is more than I can say for you, especially the dry part.  Our evening started off fairly mundane, an early dinner and a bath.  Max tried to pull himself up on the faucet. I was a little obsessed about picking my face tonight but once I pushed the tub far enough away from the faucet he was in no danger. (This a joke….kinda). I thought that I had it made. Max’s third nap was fairly short and I knew he was tired so I tried bed time at 6:30.  He couldn’t stop rubbing his eyes and yawning.  I could see it, a nice glass of wine, the chocolate I bought for your trip but somehow ended up here and some House Hunters.  Oh what a night.  (I am still in denial that I have to put sheets on the bed before I crawl in there.  I was so hoping to hang the sheets on the line that I let them stay in the washing machine so long and now I’m actually waiting for them to dry so I can go to bed.)

Much to my displeasure Max did not fall asleep immediately as was my evil plan.  I got him up and he had a party in our living room.  Crawling around, chatting, playing the piano, and being his overall adorable charming self.  How could I make that baby cry even if it is for his own good?  I do believe that he has a slight fever so I wrestled the pink cherry flavor Tylenol down his throat.  And of course I could not find the 3 ml syringe, only the 1 ml syringe so that I had to give him THREE doses.  Needless to the say “handsome like dad” onesie will be forever stained a nice pink hue….so it is quite appropriate actually.  It’s now 7:45 and I put him back to bed and try the Chance pat only to be out smarted by a 9 month old.  I sit in the rocking chair shushing him.  Max becomes interested in his books and I drop to my hands and knees and try to crawl out of the room unnoticed.  This is the exact point Max pulls himself up and peers down at me on all fours.  I have suddenly lost all dignity.  (I think I actually lost all dignity when I turned on the Jersey Shore in between bouts of trying to get Max to sleep.  And yes I realize my IQ just dropped 40 points.) I start to laugh out loud at the absurdity of the situation and Max gives a deep belly laugh.  This round has been won by Max.  It’s about this time that Matt sends me a one word text “drink?”  I of course run over there with baby and Lola in tow.  After a Matt marg and a little bit of Caitlin and Partner time we head back home and Max goes right to sleep.

The best part is that I run into Clare and Steve and I tell them that I’m headed to Matt and Debbie’s after a rough night.  I think they felt sorry for me and invited me over for drinks tomorrow night.  I’m going to play the poor harried mother card and milk this weekend for all it’s worth.  Next year though, I’m coming too.

No comments:

Post a Comment