Sunday, January 11, 2009

Be still my beating heart.


Maggie has become adept at the house shuffling. I call her and she can't be bothered to come to the phone. Jack must drag her to the phone, put her on speaker and force her to talk to me. This also holds true in the opposite situation; she can't be bothered to talk to Jack either. I tell myself this is a sign of a happy child. I'll keep repeating the mantra until I believe it.

Last week, I called the little monkey from New York and the above paragraph held true as per usual. If all is right with Maggie, then all is right in my world too, so I went to Bryan and Doreen's for dinner. Bryan and Doreen live in the middle of nowhere, about a 5 minute drive to any type of cell phone reception. This would be considered the middle of nowhere in 2009, right? I check my messages on the way home and lo and behold there is a message from Maggie, " I miss you Mommy, I love you so much. I hate Daddy, he's mean. I just want you, Mommy, where are yooouuuuuuu?" The message was left no later than 30 minutes after I called her the FIRST time. It ripped my heart out. This kid has my number dialed and I'm afraid I'll be powerless to resist her for the next 20 years or so.

3 comments:

  1. Loving the blog, Aimee! Thanks for sharing... hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to say it is worse the older they get...Doug is living in Michigan for about 2 weeks now and I have the same reaction...15 years and you think he would miss me more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sam, I;'m so sorry to hear that. Do you think he;s doing better in MI?

    ReplyDelete